One staple in our house is the slow cooker chicken. I can usually pick up a whole chicken that will fit in my slow cooker for under $5 (this week I got one for $3.91) and the meat from it makes meals for DAYS. A few people I know on Facebook requested some of my recipes, so I decided to start a series that highlights some of the yummy (and CHEAP) meals you can make using a slow cooked chicken as your foundation.
Today’s recipe is the source of all this yumminess…the chicken itself. Here’s how to slow cook a chicken:
Slow Cooker Chicken
Ingredients: (adapt these to what you have on hand)
1 whole chicken that will fit in your slow cooker
1-2 onions, sliced in quarters
2 carrots, sliced lengthwise, and then in 2-3 pieces per length
Several peeled cloves of garlic
Salt and Pepper
- Remove giblets bag from chicken (reserve for another use, like gravy) and wash the chicken all over with cold water. Pat dry.
- Stuff the chicken with the onions, carrots, and a clove or 2 of garlic.
- Stuff the remaining garlic cloves under the skin of the chicken, between the chicken and breast meat.
- Sprinkle entire chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until completely cooked through.
At this point you can eat the chicken as is, or discard the veggies and put the cooked, cooled chicken into a container for refrigeration. You can also save any broth created from the chicken for soup or seasoning. Pure flavor there!!!
And if you’re in a hurry to use some of your chicken yumminess right now, here’s a quick bonus recipe:
1 cooked chicken breast, shredded into bite-sized pieces
2-3 Tbsp prepared BBQ sauce
1 whole grain bun (have you tried the Arnold thin ones? 100 calories of pure yumminess!)
1-2 oz reduced fat cheddar or goat cheese
- Toss shredded chicken and BBQ sauce in a bowl. Warm in microwave for a minute or so.
- Toast bun lightly, then add cheese to both halves and broil until melted.
- Add warmed BBQ chicken to bun and enjoy!
I hope to add pictures for some of this later, but for those of you hungry now, go make your own pics! 🙂