Just a little shout out first to John Boyd and his Coffee Pot Cooking blog. He blogged about adapting both my slow cooker “roast” chicken recipe, as well as my slow cooker black bean and brown rice chili recipe, so that they are cooked in a coffee pot! No lie. He actually cooks in his coffee pot. BRILLIANT in my opinion. Go check him out and comment! Great stuff going on over there. 🙂
Today I was in the mood for muffins. Now I recently picked up a bag of flaxseed meal, and discovered that it’s a natural appetite suppressant. Did you know that? It was news to me. And this morning the boys and I decided that banana muffins sounded good, so the result was this recipe with bananas, flax seed, and my beloved whole wheat pastry flour, which is the BEST for healthy baked goods that aren’t heavy. Try them and let me know what you think!
Banana Flax Oatmeal Muffins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup flaxseed meal
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup oat bran
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups raisins
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 24 muffin cups (or line with paper liners.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, flaxseed meal, oatmeal, oat bran, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, and raisins.
- In a separate bowl, mash bananas. Then, add egg whites and whole egg, and beat lightly. Add milk and vanilla, and combine well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and mix just until blended (do not overmix!)
- Spoon batter evenly among 24 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center muffin comes out dry.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Serve. We like it with honey!
Now John, tell me true…can you make these in a coffee pot?