You know how sometimes you just need some chocolate?
And not that virtuous square of dark chocolate. I mean some creamy, delicious chocolate that rolls around in your mouth and tastes like heaven? If you know what I’m talking about, then this post is for you.
One of the important things with a lifestyle change like giving up wheat and refined sugar is having some go-to snacks stashed away for emergencies. I keep a container of raw mixed nuts and seeds with freeze-dried strawberries that I mix up available for snacking when I’m starving (it ALWAYS fills me.)
But when I need something a bit more decadent, like when I’m enjoying a glass of red wine before bed in the evening, I reach for these babies. These are my healthy creamy chocolate truffles, and there’s not a drop of refined sugar in them. Instead, they’re sweetened by pitted dates, and pack a nutritional punch of protein and antioxidants. Yummy AND good for you? You bet!
Healthy Chocolate Truffles (Gluten Free and Refined Sugar Free)
- 10 pitted dates
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened almond butter
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (optional)
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
Here’s What To Do:
- In your blender or food processor, combine dates, cacao powder, almond butter and coconut oil on low speed until dates are fully pulverized and the mixture is creamy.
- Place coconut in a small bowl.
- Scoop chocolate mixture out by teaspoonfuls and roll in coconut to form truffles.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Scoop out any remaining chocolate truffle mixture with your spatula and lick until the blender is clean! 🙂 (Watch your fingers!)
Would love to hear how you like these!
What wheat and refined sugar-free snacks do you keep on hand?